It’s so easy to miss all the fun and exciting things that are right in your own backyard or in your town. Use this activity to make a list of all the fun things you can do in your own hometown area. You can find museums, sites, parks, beaches, stores, and more! First you’ll want to figure out where to keep this special list. Some families will want to use a computer, or phone, others will want to write them down or put them in a binder. It’s up to you and you might even do both based on the ages of your family members. Then the next time you are trying to think of what to do…you can pull out the binder and pick a place!
Here are some ideas to get you started with your own Family List of Fun Things to Do!
- Look through the newspaper each week to see what is going on around town. Make note of the different locations for events and write them down.
- When you end up at a tourist spot, look for those brochure holders that have tons of brochures/business cards for all the fun places you can go. You’ll even find some great coupons that you can use! Grab them and take an extra one that you can tape/glue to a page in your binder!
- Keep a little notebook in the car so that when you drive by somewhere you can jot down the name of the place, and location, to look up later
Here are some categories that you might want to create so that you can add places to the list:
- Museums (make a note of discount days, hours)
- Parks and playgrounds ( make a note of cool playgrounds, paths, or picnic areas)
- Bike Trails
- Hiking Trails
- Fun Ice Cream Shops
- RollerSkating Rinks
- Miniature Golf
- Pet Friendly stores
- Pet Friendly Restaurants
- Pet Parks
- Craft Stores: make note of in store classes
- Bookstore: make a note of Storytime schedules
- Paper, tape, binder
- Computer, if you want
- For mobile phones, we have found that this app for making lists is great for this kind of thing. You can create categories and even add the address that will map the location of the place for you.
TIPS / SUGGESTIONS:
- Let each member of the family contribute to the list! You can even have the small ones help decorate the binder.
- If you are using your phone, you can take a photo of your child in front of the place to add it to the list.
- Try new and different things! You never know what you’ll find!